Fuming Wenger lashes out at ‘boring media criticism’

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has blasted the media and supporters for their ‘boring’ criticism of the job he is doing as the Gunners slide down the Premier League table.

Wenger’s charges have now gone five games without a win in all competitions since their hair-raising victory over Leicester City in February and are on the verge of exiting the Champions League having lost 2-0 at home to Barcelona in the first leg of their last 16 tie.
But the veteran coach has come for his critics ahead of his side’s FA Cup fifth round replay against Hull City on Tuesday.
“Look, I have worked here for 19 years and I’m always sitting here having to justify that I’m good enough to do the job,” he told reporters.
“I have no problem to cope with everything but I find that a bit boring in the end. I always have to convince you that I am good enough. I worked for 35 years at the top level.”
“What I find just boring is always sitting here after 19 years to face [the question]: ‘Do you think you are good enough?’ I am not on Twitter. I don’t invite anybody to go out to dinner and be nice with them. I work and work and work and work.
Swansea inflicted their last defeat at the Emirates. Image: Sky Sports
Swansea inflicted their last defeat at the Emirates. Image: Sky Sports
“If it’s not good enough, someone will tell me one day. That’s all I can do. I do not worry what you [journalists] say about me or what fans say about me.
“I try to do my job in a proper way and with full commitment. After that everybody has the right to have an opinion.
“I cannot influence the behaviour of the fans. How can I do that? I don’t know. I am humble enough every day to question myself, to accept my mistakes and, believe me, I do that.
“After that there is no coincidence that the people who own the club tell me to be here for 19 years. Do you think they are more stupid than you or me?
“I feel privileged to have the confidence of the club for such a long time. I work seven days a week with full commitment. That’s all I can do.”
The Gunners travel to second-tier Hull as they look to win the FA Cup for the third season in a row.

Comments